Upholstered furniture adds a certain softness and style to your home. Your furniture is an investment and you want it to last and look new for as long as possible. Here are some good tips that will help keep your upholstered furniture looking great.
1. Avoid Direct Sunlight. Sunlight can fade and deteriorate your upholstery so it’s good to keep it from direct contact with your furniture whenever possible. Use blinds, shades, or draperies to keep the sun away. You might also want to consider rearranging your furniture once in awhile to keep one piece from fading more quickly than others.
2. Vacuum. Dirt and dust doesn’t just get on your floors. It will build up on your furniture as well. Vacuuming is an important way to take care of your upholstery. Use a soft brush attachment, if available, and a good crevice tool for hard-to-reach areas.
3. Rotate Cushions. Rotate any loose cushions to distribute wear. It’s a good idea to flip your cushions when you vacuum your upholstery.
4. Keep Pets Down. It’s best to keep your pets off the furniture. However, if you can’t your furry friend to cooperate or you don’t have the heart to make him get off, cover the area with a clean towel or blanket or place a pet bed on his favorite cushion. Be careful not to use dark colored towels or blankets that could rub or bleed dye onto your upholstery if they get wet.
5. Test and Rinse All Spotters. If you’re going to clean a spot, always test the spotter in a concealed area to make sure it won’t discolor, shrink, or deteriorate your upholstery. Always read the labels on your furniture and spotters and follow directions. You also want to make sure you rinse away all residue when you’re finished. Sticky residue left from cleaners can attract dirt, causing your furniture to get soiled again all the faster.
6. Don’t Remove Cushion Covers. Never remove your cushion covers for cleaning, even if they have zippers. Removing the covers can allow them to shrink, stretch, and ruin fibers, which shortens the life of your furniture and can make the covers hard to get back on.
7. Use Protectant. Use a cleaner with upholstery protectant or a spray protectant to help prevent future stains. A protectant will help your furniture last longer, clean easier, and stay clean longer.
8. Have Your Upholstery Professionally Cleaned. It’s important to have your upholstered furniture deep cleaned by a professional every year or so, to keep it at its best. Steamway Craftsmen specializes in upholstery cleaning and has been serving the Des Moines, Iowa area for over 42 years. Let us help keep your home beautiful. Call us at 515-223-2830 in Des Moines and schedule your upholstery cleaning today.
Here’s a sample of what our many happy customers have to say about having their upholstery cleaned by Steamway Craftsmen:
“Wow!! My furniture looks brand new.” --Jayne H., Ames
“This is not the first time we have had this furniture cleaned. However, it is the first time they look as good as they did when they were new. [Your tech] was very professional and produced results beyond expectations!!! Yes, we will call you whenever we need your expertise.” --Fagan Fireplace Center, Ames